Re: [SLUG] Upgraded to 10.1 Yeeowwww!!

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2006 - 08:41:18 EDT

>>> On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 7:44 PM, in message
<620c90570607231644u49f0e38xe59e09f90089a4de@mail.gmail.com>, "Chuck
Hast"
<wchast@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/23/06, Logan Tygart <thelogan@allyourbase- arebelongto.us>
wrote:

>> > No, I have the proper RF gear on each end of the path. indeed the
HW was
>> > working when I upgraded, and once done I found all of the
additional
> issues,
>> > back where i had none before.
>> >

>> You might have a timing issue here. Namely, dhcpcd might be trying
>> acquire an IP before the module driving wlan0 is loaded. After a
boot
>> up, check dmesg and make sure things are loading in the appropriate
>> manner, for your hardware configuration.
>>
>> Just a suggestion,
>
> Hmm, that well may be. I had a similar issue with a packet switch I
built
> up, it was trying to load some stuff before other stuff that needed
to be
> up and running first. Once I moved things around that fixed it. Will
have
> to check that one out. You maybe on to something as it has to load
ndis-
> wrapper first in order to hear the dhcp server, and get a IP. I will
have to
> look there.

How about more detail. What is the wireless lan driver? What are you
trying to configure? If you are forced to use ndiswrapper, I would
imagine that is where the problem will be encountered. You will want to
use networkmanager to manage the network connections and you can set the
defaults in there. It sounds as if it's not set to start automagically
and as such your CLI setup is needed. YaST or the networkmanager applet
is where you want to config it. If it died part way thru the upgrade you
may have not finished the installation and may need to go back and
reconfigure a number of things.

JP