Re: [SLUG] Fwd: akademy 2007

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2006 - 19:55:00 EDT

rmorgan@heavysystems.com wrote:
> Would anyone in SLUG be interested in working with me to put together a proposal for hosting Akademy 2007 in Tampa?

I'd be interested, and since they say press contacts are essential and
I'm about as good as they come for Linux-type stuff, that's a plus.

BUT read this:

"Immigration procedures: The hosting country's immigration laws and
procedures should not exclude any KDE contributor from attending. It is
a plus if the hosting country does not have complicated and expensive
visa procurement procedures for the majority of the participants (who
will be from the EU and the US). For participants from other countries,
getting a visa must be reasonably possible."

At DebConf in Mexico this year, I was told bluntly that no international
FOSS conference can be held in the U.S. right now because it's gotten so
hard to get visas, esp. from mideast countries.

AND ALSO read this:

"Accommodation must be available for up to 200 persons during the peak
days, and should not cost more than EUR 20/USD 25 per night including
breakfast."

So this would depend on a University dorm-type deal. Anyone have
contacts to make that happen?

AND LASTLY:

"Travel grants were about EUR 8000 (USD 10000), for aKademy 2004 at
Ludwigsburg and EUR 10000 for aKademy 2005 at Malaga and 20000 to be
expected for aKademy 2006. If the conference location for 2007 is going
to be outside Europe, we can expect a much higher need for travel grants
(at least 4-5 times as much). Sponsoring of other costs (like food or
accommodation) is of course also much appreciated."

REALITY: I think it'll be someplace cheap in Europe, and that a U.S. bid
is a waste of time.

- Robin