Re: [SLUG] server upgrade

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2006 - 13:56:42 EDT

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Mark Bishop wrote:

> Ok, so how does this sound. Get two PATA drives, mirror them in a RAID.

Software or hardware RAID? I still don't think you can boot from a software
RAID drive, as at boot time, there's no software running to interpret the
RAID.

> Then have two SATA drives on the external controller mirrored in a RAID.
> My BIOS won't support an SATA card boot so I guess I am stuck with PATA.

Sounds good to me, but one of the folks who has more experience with RAID
might want to chime in.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   http://royalty.no-ip.org:81

"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!" "Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.