Re: [SLUG] iptables woes

From: Ian C. Blenke (ian@blenke.com)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2006 - 00:50:44 EDT

steve szmidt wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 July 2006 23:57, Ian C. Blenke wrote:
>
>> Steve forwarded this to me privately, I'm going to go ahead and copy the
>> SLUG list on this to benefit others.
>>

> I must say I'm disappointed in your ethics of forwarding a personal email to a
> list without asking! Not OK Ian!

Was there something condemning here? Some super secret perhaps? Exposing
your private 192.168.x.x network topology?

Next time, should I:
1. Spend a half hour of my time responding to a fairly generically
applicable question privately to benefit only you.
2. Simply reply saying "this question belongs on the SLUG list, as
others would learn from the response, post it there and I'll respond"
and leave it at that?

In hind sight, I should have probably done the latter. It might have
pissed you off to be dismissed like that, but I wouldn't need to post a
public message like this as a followup to hurt feelings.

I made a judgement call. The email was fairly benign. It seemed safe
enough to send to the list.

The only damage I can think of here is somehow causing you loss of face
by exposing a private question to a public forum, however innocent that
question is. For that, I apologize.

It's been another long day in a series of long days. It is 12:50am. I
have work in the morning. I am tired. Goodnight.

- Ian C. Blenke <ian@blenke.com> http://ian.blenke.com/