Re: [SLUG] Thee Art of Xen

From: Todd (dumb-ass@acpdata.com)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2006 - 09:47:16 EDT

Ian C. Blenke wrote:
> Todd wrote:
>
>> I have a laptop that dual boots Open Suse and XP. I would much rather
>> just be able to open XP in a "virtual" world to run the few
>> applications that wine doesn't play well with. Can Xen be configured
>> to do this without wiping out the XP partition? Or perhaps I can make
>> the virtual file system and "restore" the old windows stuff to it from
>> a back up?
>>

> Does your laptop have an Intel core duo chipset with VT, or some new
> chip from AMD with Pacifica (that I'm not aware of as shipping yet?)
>
> If not, the only way to run Windows under Xen is to use an emulator like
> QEMU (without the speedups of kqemu or qvm86 as they can't run ring0
> under the hypervisor), which is _much_ slower than something like VMWare
> (which also cannot run under Xen, as vmmon would need to run ring0 under
> the hypervisor).

I guess I should of read the the Xen FAQ's

    1.4. Does Xen support Microsoft Windows?

The paravirtualized approach we use to get such high performance has not
been usable directly for Windows to date. However Xen 3.0 added Intel
VT-x <http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/IntelVT> support to enable the
running of unmodified guest operating systems, including Windows XP &
2003 Server, using hardware virtualization technology. We are working on
implementing support for the equivalent AMD Pacifica technology.
> Why not just use VMWare under SuSE to run XP, or the other way around if
> you _must_ run XP native you can still run SuSE under VMWare.
^^^ Good suggestion - one that I am proceeding with.
OpenVZ sounds interesting, and might be a future testing \ learning
endeavor.But for now, I just want to stop the restarts!