Re: [SLUG] VMWare hates me -- guest processes hang - SOLVED

From: Jason Boxman (jasonb@edseek.com)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2006 - 14:50:10 EDT

Jason Boxman wrote:
<snip>
> So, seriously, what the freak? This is seriously annoying me. It happens
> under both the X and text installs, so it isn't a framebuffer thing.

The processes weren't hanging, but taking an insane amount of time to run.

The culprit is, surprisingly, DMA. It was enabled on the host. I used
VMWare's default of a SCSI block device for the guest and wrongly assumed
DMA was being handled properly in the guest. Wrong.

I switched to using an ATA block device for the guest. DMA was disabled by
default, for whatever reason. Enabling it resulted in the performance I'd
come to expect from a typical VMWare install from ages past. It seems the
standing recommendation from VMWare to use a SCSI block device for a guest,
at least for my Linux guests, is quite wrong.

My 2.4GHz P4-based Celeron wasn't _that_ slow afterall.