Re: [SLUG] growisofs limitation??

From: Mason Mullins (mason_mullins@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2006 - 09:35:10 EDT

----Original Message Follows----
From: Bob Stia <rnr@sanctum.com>
To: slug@nks.net
Subject: Re: [SLUG] growisofs limitation??
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 02:13:05 -0400

On Friday 04 August 2006 13:42, Ian C. Blenke wrote:
> Eben King wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Bob Stia wrote:
> >> Hello Sluggers
> >>
> >> I have a file "mymovie.vob" that is 4.2 GB in size. K3b won't burn
> >> it, saying it has a 4GB limitation. So, I try the CLI with this
> >> command: "growisofs -Z /dev/dvdrecorder -dvd-video mymovie.vob"

...............<snip some>............
Hello Ian,
Thanks for replying.

> You can specify an "-overburn" option to growisofs. I just found that in
> the man pages ("man growisofs").

Yes, I knew of that, but it also failed with the same 4GB message.

> Also, I hope your file is misnamed.
>
> A .vob file is usually the encapsulated menu or mpeg2 video on a UDF
> filesystem.
> If you have a 4.2G image, I'll wager it is either a 4.2G mpeg2 file or a
> 4.2G UDF filesystem.

Your wager would be correct as the properties show it to be an mpeg2 file.

> If you have a 4.2G mpeg2 video file, you need to greate a UDF filesystem
> (with mkisofs or growisofs) that contains the .vob/.ifo files in a
> VIDEO_TS directory.
> To do that, you'll want to use something like dvdauthor.

OK, normally do use dvdauthor.

> $ mv mymovie.vob mydvd.mpg

OK renamed the vob to mpg.

> $ mkdir DVD

OK, made the directory

> $ cat <<EOF > mydvd.xml

Don't understand this instruction. What is this doing, calling up the
script?
Don't have a mydvd.xml script yet. Ummm...Am I just dumb or ignorant?
Soooo, blundering onward, I took your following sample script...

> <dvdauthor dest="DVD">
> <vmgm />
> <titleset>
> <titles>
> <video widescreen="nopanscan" />
> <pgc>
> <vob file="mydvd.mpg"
> chapters="0,0:30,1:00,1:30,2:30,3:00,3:30,4:00"/>
> </pgc>
> </titles>
> </titleset>
> </dvdauthor>
> EOF

And, I made a new dvd.xml script reflecting the above and named it mydvd.xml

> $ dvdauthor -x mydvd.xml

OK, This is where it fails. I just get a huge long list of repeated WARN:
Skipping sector, Waiting for first VOBU.....until it times out 10 minutes
later.
It does populate the DVD directory though, with the Audio & Video_TS files
with nothing in them.

This is where I was when I tried to do this previously, and before I
attempted
to burn the iso directly, which then prompted me to post my question about
growisofs.

> $ growisofs -dvd-compat -overburn -Z /dev/dvd -dvd-video DVD/

Hopefully I will eventually be able to use this command.

> Then you should have an "overburned" DVD, assuming it fit.
>
> Remember to remove that DVD/ directory when you're done.
>
> - Ian C. Blenke <ian@blenke.com> http://ian.blenke.com/

Thanks Ian, Appreciate your help.

Bob S.

Just a suggestion here, but what about using the dd command to create an iso
and then burning that iso to the DVD? I know this works for data, but not so
sure about a movie.