Re: [SLUG] Wifi security fun with your neighbors.

From: Ian C. Blenke (ian@blenke.com)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2006 - 11:45:32 EDT

Levi Bard wrote:

> Well, it depends on your TOS, although most of the ones I've seen end
> with, "We reserve the right to change these TOS at will and without
> prior notification." Either way, a lot of TOS call it a violation to
> run more than one 1 machine on a connection, period (e.g. home LANs).
> (Not to mention running a web or mail server...) If an ISP was going
> to cut off service for this, they'd also have to cut off service to
> everybody's clueless uncle who doesn't know how to secure an AP, or
> cut off service to all the customers their own technicians have set up
> with unsecured APs. Besides, the previously mentioned hacks
> (redirecting to kittenwar.com, inverting and/or blurring content) are
> still "subletting" the connection.

Anyone familiar with USC 2252C ?

IANAL, but various bloggers appear to be playing them regarding this
latest crap out of congress.

As such, it is apparently illegal now to redirect people to obscene
content they didn't intend on receiving:

http://shii.wordpress.com/2006/07/26/goatse-now-illegal-in-the-united-states/

I don't think kittenwar.com would qualify as obscene, but redirecting
folks to "questionable" content appears to be illegal now. Add to that
net neutrality...

    http://wearetheweb.org/

Goodbye Goatse.cx. Goodbye tubgirl. Goodbye Internets. The pipes, we
barely knew ye.

 - Ian C. Blenke <ian@blenke.com> http://ian.blenke.com/