Re: [SLUG] Wifi security fun with your neighbors.

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2006 - 14:43:37 EDT

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Levi Bard wrote:

>> Those are the extreme positions, sure. But you don't have to be paranoid
>> to protect yourself; AFAIK if you take "reasonable" precautions (and
>> "reasonable" may be defined by the DA), you're clear. Just like if
>> someone commits a crime with your handgun, but first he had to sneak into
>> your closet to get it, undo the trigger lock, and load it, that's a lot
>> better than if it were on your sofa, unlocked, and loaded.
>
> You're equating internet access to a loaded handgun?

Well, they're not nearly the same thing, but it's the only analog I could
come up with on short notice, where you could take Reasonable and
Prudent(tm) precautions to prevent use of your stuff, while not stopping a
determined miscreant. An "attractive nuisance" might work too, but that
usually results in an injury.

>> > Come on, people, Free Software is all about sharing with your neighbor!
>>
>> Yeah, "Free" as in speech, not "Free" as in beer. Get to it, but not
>> through the connection I pay for.
>
> Do you also disable the water spigot on the outside of your house?

Somebody would have to come to my house to steal the water, and I'd see
that. I'd also see a hose running from here, and hear running water. Not
so with wireless access.

> Do you put heavy curtains over your windows so that passersby can't get
> the benefit of the light you paid for?

That would also deny me the benefit of the sunlight. And it would play
merry hell with allergies. And, locking down an AP is free; curtains and
curtainrods aren't.

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    http://royalty.no-ip.org:81
SCORPIO:  Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming