Re: [SLUG] Wifi security fun with your neighbors.

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2006 - 18:59:10 EDT

On 8/7/06, Anthony DiPierro <slug@inbox.org> wrote:
> On 8/7/06, Chuck Hast <wchast@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Cute, but it doesn't seem to address any of the problems of having a
> > > wide open wifi router. Wouldn't it be better to limit the bandwidth
> > > and route the unauthorized users through the Tor network?
> > >
> > How long do you think they will continue to try to use it if the only place they
> > can get to is kittenwar.com? And if you add the inverted web pages and
> > blurry pages, they will get the message real fast. Besides messing with
> > people's minds is a lot more fun than just blocking the access, sure would
> > like to have a video/audio feed from the neighbor's computer to where I could
> > watch and hear the responses.... B-d. I bet more than one has called some
> > help desk.... B=]
>
> If all they can get to is kittenwar.com they might not continue to use
> it. I was more referring to the inverted webpages or blurry webpages
> hack. You can still do a lot of illegal things on someone else's
> system with inverted images, and you can still use a whole lot of
> bandwidth doing so.
>
> Besides, why not be friendly to your neighbors? If you have some
> extra bandwidth, and you're running an unencrypted wireless network
> anyway, why not share it?

I have, indeed I have very good neighbors and would have no problem
with it, but if I had a turkey for a neighbor and he just dived in with no
questions asked, I would give him/her at least a "fun" place to go. Indeed
one of my neighbors still uses dialup (we still have paper in the cable here
so cheap dsl is not even available yet) and he is using satellite for his tv
so he does not have a good path for data. I offered the use of my wifi but
he declined.

Radio does not respect boundaries, that is why I do not believe that reception
limitations ever work, just like the ban on receiving cellular, (all
they did was
make it "more tempting" ) if you do not want your system and data intercepted
lock it down, but don't ask some silly pol to make a law prohibiting it.
By the same token, if someone uses my bandwidth and does not even ask
to do so, then I will take the freedom to "allow them routing" that takes them
where I want them to go, it is my router after all. As far as keeping the bad
guys out, that is what firewalls are for but between the computer and the AP
not between the AP and the ISP, except of course to do the funnies for the
interlopers... Gotta have fun...

If a neighbor needs BW, I am most glad to let him/her use it if they just ask
and indeed, I have offered, so I am not in any way against sharing, just
abusive people.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;