Re: [SLUG] eth1 or wlan1

From: Todd (dumb-ass@acpdata.com)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2006 - 16:27:42 EDT

Chuck Hast wrote:
> On 8/8/06, Sick Twist <thesicktwist@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >From: "Chuck Hast" <wchast@gmail.com>
>> >To: slug@nks.net
>> >Subject: [SLUG] eth1 or wlan1
>> >Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 09:17:23 -0400
>> >
>> >I was under the impression that when you set up a wireless lan nic
>> it was
>> >assigned a device name of wlan something. Indeed on my desktop I have
>> >a wireless lan card and the wireless lan device is wlan0, the wired nic
>> >card
>> >is eth0. But on my laptop eth0 is the wired device and eth1 is the wlan
>> >device, It appears that the nic management tool is trying to handle the
>> >ethernet device as though it was a wireless nic. I just disregard the
>> >wireless
>> >stuff for it, but it is not logical to step through a bunch of wireless
>> >params
>> >for a wired nic. What is involved in changing eth1 to wlan0? so that
>> it is
>> >more like what I am used to with other wireless card installs? Not sure
>> >why the system has set it's self up this way. I am using SuSE 10.1,
>> >but it was like that with 10.0 too.
>>
>> I'm not sure if SuSE uses this method but my Ubuntu box uses
>> /etc/iftab to
>> allow the user to define interface names. Check out man iftab.
>>

> It is not there. I looked for it but can not find it. There is a man
> page for it
> but no file.

Have you seen this article from SuSE? It explains how and why network
devices are named.

http://www.novell.com/documentation/suse10/index.html?page=/documentation/suse10/adminguide/data/sec_basicnet_manconf.html

../Todd

Questions regarding computers
- Todd at acpdata dot com

Questions regarding home financing or HELOCS
- JoAnne at PFGlends dot com.