Re: [SLUG] DWG Viewer for linux

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2006 - 21:29:54 EDT

On 8/9/06, Ken Elliott <kelliott11@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> >> I was hoping for a Linux viewer, Auto- Desk is so anal...
>
> Try:
> http://lx-viewer.sourceforge.net/

I looked at that, indeed was going to use it, but it told me I needed
libraries from
OpenDWG, I went there and you have to fill out a form and send to them in the
post (or by fax and they reply snail mail) in order for the to
determine if you merit
the lib files... Don't have time for such stupidity.

> AutoCAD was developed on Unix until Release 13. That's when the new CTO
> Robert Carr started the complete re-write based on Win32. Frankly, he had
> no choice. Release 12 sucked on Windows, and that's where the action is in
> CAD. A multi platform option didn't work for them. Microstation seems to
> have done much better, but there are lots of structural differences between
> those programs.
>
> You might ask the author of the DWG file to provide it in another format.
> Autodesk keeps changing the DWG format, and the latest versions are said to
> have encryption. It costs so much to reverse engineer the format, that all
> their competitors use OpenDWG (OpenDesign.com). It cost money, so you won't
> see any open source app use it.

I just sent him a note asking him if he could export it to a pdf, then I will be
OK.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;