Re: [SLUG] Permission denied to CF card.

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2006 - 09:06:20 EDT

On 8/11/06, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Chuck Hast wrote:

> >> I used the camera as that is the most common place I pull CF type cards
> >> from, I also have a Garmin Nuvi that I use, it has to be viewed the same
> >> way, so do not want to specify it as a camera but just as a removable
> >> drive. So anytime any CF type device is plugged in it will be available for
> >> access from a user screen. Root does get access to it once it is mounted.
> >>

> > Here is what it looks like now
> > /dev/sda1 /media/usbdisk vfat
> > users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
> >
> > Now I have to figure out how to automount it, as I sitll have to go in as
> > root and do a:
> > mount /dev/sda1
> > Then it is actually mounted, so that fixed the non-root access after it was
> > mounted.
>
> FWIW, I (Ubuntu 5.10) have autofs or whatever it's called -- /etc/auto.* .
> What I could divine is:
>
> /etc/auto.master defines a daemon, which controls a mount tree ], all with a
> particular set of options (including timeout). Each daemon has a control
> file /etc/auto.foo, which specify what dirs it should watch. Minus all the
> comments, my /etc/master is:
>
> /mnt/auto /etc/auto.misc --timeout 1500
> /mnt/dvd /etc/auto.dvd --timeout 5
>
> /etc/auto.misc is:
>
> scratch -rw,fstype=ext3 :/dev/hdc8
> media -rw,fstype=ext3 :/dev/hdc6
> schedules -rw,fstype=minix,loop :/var/schedules.img
>
> /etc/auto.dvd is:
>
> dvd1 -fstype=auto,ro,mode=0666 :/dev/cdrom
> dvd1_exec -fstype=auto,ro :/dev/cdrom
>
> eben@pc:~$ grep hda /etc/mtab
> eben@pc:~$ ls /dvd1/ > /dev/null ; grep hda /etc/mtab
> /dev/hda /mnt/dvd/dvd1 iso9660 ro,mode=0666 0 0
> (wait 5 seconds)
> eben@pc:~$ grep hda /etc/mtab
> eben@pc:~$ ls -l /dvd1
> 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 2006-08-06 12:18 /dvd1 -> /mnt/dvd/dvd1
>
> dvd2 is loaned out right now, so I disabled it.

Here is the interesting thing, my desktop which I also upgraded works just
fine, if I plug a memory card into it, it sees it and allows me to open it and
maniuplate the files. SO, I have to figure out what the deltas are and fix it.
I just can not understand why the upgrade messed up the removable disk
stuff on the laptop and not on the desk top machine....

I looked at the auto files and find that on the desktop machine all of the lines
in the auto.master are commented out:

#
# $Id: auto.master,v 1.4 2005/01/04 14:36:54 raven Exp $
#
# Sample auto.master file
# This is an automounter map and it has the following format
# key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
# For details of the format look at autofs(5).
#/misc /etc/auto.misc --timeout=60
#/smb /etc/auto.smb
#/misc /etc/auto.misc
#/net /etc/auto.net

Here is the auto.misc file, as you can see the only one that is not
commented is the cd entry:

#
# $Id: auto.misc,v 1.2 2003/09/29 08:22:35 raven Exp $
#
# This is an automounter map and it has the following format
# key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
# Details may be found in the autofs(5) manpage

cd -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom

# the following entries are samples to pique your imagination
#linux -ro,soft,intr ftp.example.org:/pub/linux
#boot -fstype=ext2 :/dev/hda1
#floppy -fstype=auto :/dev/fd0
#floppy -fstype=ext2 :/dev/fd0
#e2floppy -fstype=ext2 :/dev/fd0
#jaz -fstype=ext2 :/dev/sdc1
#removable -fstype=ext2 :/dev/hdd

And here is the mtab file withthe cf card inserted
/dev/hda5 / reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw 0 0
udev /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
/dev/hda1 /boot reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/hda9 /home reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/hda7 /opt reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/hda6 /usr reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/hda8 /var reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/sdd1 /media/usbdisk vfat
rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,flush,uid=1000,utf8,shortname=lower 0 0

I have my laptop now allowing me to access the cf cards and r/w them
withtout being root, now I just have to figure out what I have to do to
make it automount so I do not have to bring up a cli and issue the
mount command.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;