Re: [SLUG] Permission denied to CF card.

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2006 - 16:11:41 EDT

On 8/12/06, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Aug 2006, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> > Here is the interesting thing, my desktop which I also upgraded works just
> > fine, if I plug a memory card into it, it sees it and allows me to open it
> > and maniuplate the files. SO, I have to figure out what the deltas are and
> > fix it. I just can not understand why the upgrade messed up the removable
> > disk stuff on the laptop and not on the desk top machine....
> >
> > I looked at the auto files and find that on the desktop machine all of the
> > lines in the auto.master are commented out:
> >
> > # $Id: auto.master,v 1.4 2005/01/04 14:36:54 raven Exp $
> > #
> > # Sample auto.master file
> > # This is an automounter map and it has the following format
> > # key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
> > # For details of the format look at autofs(5).
> > #/misc /etc/auto.misc --timeout=60
> > #/smb /etc/auto.smb
> > #/misc /etc/auto.misc
> > #/net /etc/auto.net
> >
> > Here is the auto.misc file, as you can see the only one that is not
> > commented is the cd entry:
> >
> > # $Id: auto.misc,v 1.2 2003/09/29 08:22:35 raven Exp $
> > #
> > # This is an automounter map and it has the following format
> > # key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
> > # Details may be found in the autofs(5) manpage
> >
> > cd -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom
> >
> > And here is the mtab file withthe cf card inserted
> > /dev/hda5 / reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
> > proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> > sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
> > debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw 0 0
> > udev /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
> > devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
> > /dev/hda1 /boot reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
> > /dev/hda9 /home reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
> > /dev/hda7 /opt reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
> > /dev/hda6 /usr reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
> > /dev/hda8 /var reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
> > /dev/sdd1 /media/usbdisk vfat
> > rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,flush,uid=1000,utf8,shortname=lower 0 0
> >
> > I have my laptop now allowing me to access the cf cards and r/w them
> > withtout being root, now I just have to figure out what I have to do to
> > make it automount so I do not have to bring up a cli and issue the
> > mount command.
>
> As it is, it's not paying attention to /etc/auto.misc because the line
> "/misc /etc/auto.misc" in /etc/auto.master is commented out. (I think all
> mount trees have an implied "/mnt/auto" prepended.) If I were doing it, I
> would put an entry for the CF card in auto.misc, and uncomment that line in
> auto.master.

That is what I can not figure out, that comes out of the machine that DOES
read the CF cards, so my question is what triggers it, if those files are not
doing so (as you pointed out the line that it would appear to trigger this
function is commented out so unless there is similar file somewhere else that
one is not doing it. There must be another mechanisim that is allowing the
machine to automount the card and give access to it.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;