Re: [SLUG] port question

From: Levi Bard (taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2006 - 14:24:07 EDT

> How do you tell which application is running on which port ? i don't
> remember how to find that.

You can display applications that are currently running, with their
associated ports, using `netstat -a` (
http://www.ss64.com/nt/netstat.html )

There's also a list of commonly used ports in /etc/services.

> Reason of curiosity is I was looking at my logs from my home router and
> noticed alot of "hits" from a 'suspicious' ip address and has hit alot
> of different ports and I'm just wondering what they belong to. Feeling a
> little paranoia today i guess :-)

Sounds like you're being portscanned. AOLTWBBHN used to scan me a few
times per day.

--
Tcsh: Now with higher FPS!
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/shouldbefree.html