[SLUG] Training bogofilter problem

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2006 - 23:02:44 EDT

Hello Sluggers

Running Suse 10.0 on AMD 64 bit. I use Kmail exclusively for email. About a
year ago I used Spamassassin to get rid of spam but it was so slow that I
gave up and uninstalled it. Now the spam is overwhelming. So I tried
bogofilter in Kmail. I trained it with several  thousand messages, both ham &
spam. Worked pretty well for a couple of weeks but now it is putting
everything into my Spam folder that should go into my inbox except the
mailing lists I have told it not to check.

When it does this, and I review the Spam directory, I click on the little
green arrow at the top of Kmail to (supposedly) teach it that it is not spam,
but ham. Doesn't seem to be working. Just keeps marking all of my personal
messages as spam.

As I said, I have about a dozen mailing lists that I exclude from bogofilter,
but I also have a group of about 20 or 30 friends who trade jokes and other
personal info back and forth, and many more correspondents for other
purposes. These are the ones being effected and put into the Spam directory.

The spammers use all kinds of words and phrases. Is bogofilter confused by the
amount of info in it's spam directory and applying it to everything?  Do I
have to resort to listing all of my several hundred email addresses in the
filters to be passed as ham?

Would appreciate your thoughts, experiences, advice, whatever, in your use of
bogofilter.

Bob S.