Re: [SLUG] Training bogofilter problem

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Sep 09 2006 - 17:57:08 EDT

Ian C. Blenke wrote:
> Bob Stia wrote:
>> The spammers use all kinds of words and phrases. Is bogofilter confused by the
>> amount of info in it's spam directory and applying it to everything? Do I
>> have to resort to listing all of my several hundred email addresses in the
>> filters to be passed as ham?
>>
>> Would appreciate your thoughts, experiences, advice, whatever, in your use of
>> bogofilter.
>>

> I gave up on bogofilter a while ago. It became monstrously huge, and
> horribly tainted by "anti-bayesian" spam mumbo jumbo.

I have to echo this. I was a fan of bogofilter when it first came out.
But its databases will grow into the megs if left unchecked. Moreover,
you *must* train bogofilter with a half-and-half mix of spam and ham.
But for me, list traffic and traffic from family bypasses all my other
email filtering. So I don't want it going to bogofilter and getting
graded; there's no point in chewing up CPU cycles that way. But without
that, 90% of my other mail is spam. You can't train bogofilter on just
spam, or it will think everything is spam. SpamAssassin is by far a
better solution. On top of that, learn procmail.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster