[SLUG] USB Keyboard

From: Bill Glidden (bill@thegliddenfamily.com)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2006 - 10:22:28 EDT

I'm working on a POS application, and I am trying to use a credit card
reader that emulates a USB keyboard.

I know that the particular device works, because I can hook it up to a
windows machine and it's fine.

USB keyboard support is enabled in the system BIOS.

When I boot Debian, I see that the device is recognized as a USB keyboard
from the following message:

"input: USB HID v1.0 Keyboard [POSIFLEX INC. ...] on usb2:6.0".

I login to Debian, and issue the command "cat >/dev/null". However, when I
swipe a credit card I get nothing.

I expected to see the credit card data echoed on the terminal as if it were
typed.

Do I need to do something with the kernel to enable the use of a USB
keyboard?

Thanks,

Bill Glidden