Re: [SLUG] Printer Utility

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2006 - 18:07:05 EDT

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, Bob Stia wrote:

> Hello Sluggers,
>
> The other day I installed an Epson printer utility on my SuSE 10.0 called
> escputil. (check ink level, clean heads etc.) When I run it in a terminal I
> get the following response.
>
> bob@EasyStreet:~> escputil -i
> Escputil version 4.2.7, Copyright (C) 2000-2001 Robert Krawitz
> Escputil comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type 'escputil -l'
> under certain conditions; type 'escputil -l' for details.
>
> Obtaining ink levels requires using a raw device.
> bob@EasyStreet:~>
>
> ??? Do I need to install a raw device? How do I do that? I thought all
> printer applications created their own raw device. Guess I don't know very
> much or understand this. Did a lot of googling on raw devices but everything
> was about databases.

My guess is that a "raw device" refers to something one would find in /dev .
If you find one that is correct, you can link it to elsewhere, or create a
new one with "mknod". Maybe escputil is trying to talk to the printer
directly, but the device file isn't where it's looking? You can try
something like

strace escputil -i 2>&1 | grep open

and see what it's trying to open. Are there any docs that came with this
program?

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.no-ip.org:81

And we never failed to fail / It was the easiest thing to do -- CSN