Re: [SLUG] What do you all think?

From: Rich Morgan (rmorgan@heavysystems.com)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2006 - 10:36:59 EDT

> On 10/14/06, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
> Quote:
>
> Software radical Richard Stallman helped build the Linux revolution.
> Now he threatens to tear it apart.
> The free Linux operating system set off one of the biggest revolutions
> in the history of computing when it leapt from the fingertips of a
> Finnish college kid named Linus Torvalds 15 years ago. Linux now
> drives $15 billion in annual sales of hardware, software and services,
> and this wondrous bit of code has been tweaked by thousands of
> independent programmers to run the world's most powerful
> supercomputers, the latest cell phones and TiVo (nasdaq: TIVO - news -
> people ) video recorders and other gadgets.
<snip>

Hmm, it looks like a propoganda piece. RMS is a radical person and there
are differences between him and Linus over the new GPL but this article is
over the top.

While RMS has done a great deal for the free software movement, it doesn't
belong to any *one* person. This movement is now bigger than you, me,
Alan Cox, RMS, Linus even IBM who has donated so much to the cause. I
believe that's why IBM and other rational companies support OSS - nobody
can hijack the code. It can always be forked, modified or rewritten.

As a side note, I wonder how hard (or not) it was for the author to track
down a technology company who dropped Linux purely because of Richard
Stallman's antics. Lok Technology?? Come on...

-Rich