[SLUG] Linux on a flash drive

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2006 - 15:06:14 EDT

Hi. I got a 2G flash drive and partitioned it about in half. For some
reason I couldn't make XP use partition #2, so I finally gave up and made
partition #1 FAT32 (I thought 1G was way over its limit, but XP wouldn't
make NTFS) and #2 Linux. I pretty much copied my laptop's hard drive
straight over, with a few modifications:

1. No swap
2. No OpenOffice
3. No Gnome/KDE

LILO from System Rescue CD, and I'm good to go.

So, flash drives have a limited number of writes before they die, so what
can I do? What writes they do have are very slow.

I'm thinking, make /tmp tmpfs, and split off /usr and mount it read-only.
What daemons or filesystem options should I modify? On my desktop I see
<100K writes every few seconds, but I have six ext3 filesystems mounted now
and a boatload of daemons running.

I can't use suspend-to-disk unless I dedicate a partition to it (no swap),
right? Is there any way to use a file on a Winchester disk for my suspend
"partition"?

Would suspend-to-RAM be useful if I would have to remove the flash drive to
put the laptop in the bag, and that's the only time I would suspend it
anyhow?

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.no-ip.org:81
          They that can give up essential liberty to