Re: [SLUG] Splitting Cat 6 cable

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2006 - 19:42:40 EDT

On 10/19/06, steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 19 October 2006 15:11, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> > Shucks,
> > Why wast money on heat shrink buy some hose not only that, you can get
> > it in more colours, pull a pull twine through it (use a vacuum and suck
> > it through) and pull the two cables through the hose, get a size that is
> > not too big and has a nice color.... I do not know how much 100ft of heat
> > shrink will cost but it also gets pretty stiff as it cools down and
> > contracts.
>
> Heck,
> Why spend money on this low tech junk? Pull a fiber through it, now you have
> unlimited bandwidth. (Well, up to the recv/trsmit nodes.) It will be worth it
> though! :)
>
> Plus it will not be susceptible to any interference. Now you can have as many
> connections as you want. (Once you buy the fiber optics nodes, which you
> should be able to do for a few hundred each. Then the switch to allow
> multiple connections. Plus the fiber tool which is only a few hundred. Of
> course the cable which is not too bad when you get a volume break.)
>
> But then you'll be sitting pretty! Imagine! One of the few who already have
> fiber to the home!

That is exactly what I was going to really say but it looked like everyone
was fixated on the cat 6 thing. I am doing something simlar but for a
different reason in part. I have my home on one end of my property and
my workshop/offfice/junk place on the other end with about 300 ft between
them. I have buried 1.5 inch pipe and run cat 5 through it, but of course
a lighting storm took out the hub on one end (spared the other though)
I had a protocol converter, I just needed another one. I found a 5 port
switch with a fiber connection on it, and put it in. Right now I just have
a short piece of fibre to keep the lightning out of the rest of it, but I have
been looking around for some fibre to pull through that pipe, I found a
100M piece with the right connectors on each for I think it was $75, I
just have to order it and pull it through the pipe.

Once you go glass you will never look back.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;