Re: [SLUG] Splitting Cat 6 cable

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2006 - 14:27:20 EDT

On Friday 20 October 2006 08:52, Rich Morgan wrote:
> > The problem with these devices is they are tied to something that goes
> > into
> > the ground, and the insulation is no competition for a ESD of that
> > magnitude,
> > and the other end of that device is tied to a psu that is then connected
> > mains power, which in the USA for the most part is elevated so it becomes
> > the other half of a big ESD capturing device....
> >
> > Fibre is the best solution as far as I can see, I just have to get my
> > 100m of fibre run so I will have the end solution to my problem.
>
> I know I'm jumping into this conversation a little late seeing all of
> these replies, but this thread is pretty interesting and I have to ask:
> What about wireless? Directional antennas at both ends to maximize the
> range? No digging, no cable pulls. For your workshop that's only a
> couple hundred feet away, that should work, I believe. It's not the speed
> of fiber, but I would think it's easier to set up.

One thing one has to consider is that wireless is still only up to being
almost "secure". Adding the extra work that it takes to lock it down further
is seldom done. One problem is where do you find them? How much extra money
and so on?

I still prefer fiber as it's actually such a sweet setup and does not carry
the high tag it once did. All you need is someone who has the tools to make
the ends.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.