[SLUG] success: /etc/fstab vs nonexistent filesystems

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2006 - 15:00:23 EDT

I had been dealing with trying to make a system boot despite a nonexistent
(at that time) drive, without /etc/init.d/rc dumping me into a root shell to
"fix" it. I was going to send a message to the list about it, but the act
of writing caused me to examine the symptoms closely in order to explain
them thoroughly, which led me to a solution. It's like this:

I have a USB Winchester drive for sources:

/dev/sdb1 /usr/src/usb ext3 ...

I read the man page for fsck, and it said:

                                            filesystems will be
     checked in the order specified by the fs_passno (the sixth)
     field in the /etc/fstab file. Filesystems with a fs_passno
     value of 0 are skipped and are not checked at all.

Note _sixth_ field. The fields in /etc/fstab are device, mount_point,
filesystem, options, dump_order, and fsck_order. I had the last two labels
switched on that system (oops). If you set the last field to 0, fsck skips
that one, and boot procedes normally, despite that drive being off or
unplugged.

I hope this helps someone.

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.no-ip.org:81