Re: [SLUG] Need advice here -OT

From: Pete Theisen (petetheisen@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2006 - 01:28:30 EST

On Sunday 29 October 2006 01:18, Eben King wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006, Pete Theisen wrote:
> > On Saturday 28 October 2006 00:11, Bob Stia wrote:
> >> I have a daughter (adult) who is confined to a hopital for a serious
> >> condition and will be for the next few months. I want to give her a
> >> computer with internet access.
> >>
> >> I have available a late model Mac to let her use. The hospital does not
> >> have wi-fi in the patients rooms so I am thinking cell phone modem.
> >
> > I am using the verizon service with a pcmcia. It runs at about 128 but it
> > costs $60 per month so it is not a lot of speed for the money. It is
> > *supposed* to be always on but they will cut you off after while if you
> > aren't actively using it.
>
> How much of an inconvenience is it to reconnect; i.e., is it manual or
> automatic, and how much time does it take?

Hi Eben!

To begin with, it is not always obvious you have dropped. Then you have to
take out the modem, reinsert it, let it be recognized and then get back on.

Or, sometimes, you just click connect. Usually the easy one is when you
disconnected rather than were dropped.

--
Regards,

Pete http://www.pete-theisen.com/ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.