Re: [SLUG] Microsoft rides the NERD SLED!

From: Rich Morgan (rmorgan@heavysystems.com)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2006 - 23:17:34 EST

On Fri, November 3, 2006 6:59 pm, Paul M Foster wrote:

> At this point, not having seen the contract, I don't think there's any
> way we can determine if this whole thing is a good or bad deal for us.
> Rich is welcome to boycott and complain, but I think that's a bit
> extreme and premature.

I'm inclined to "grab Tux and RUN!" as one blogger put it. This deal
scares the hell out of me. I have an uncle who was a Microsoft VP and who
later started his own software company. He doesn't own the company
anymore because his technology was "appropriated" after a sales pitch and
his company was not compensated. It's happened to plenty of companies
besides my uncles' and I'm afraid of what else Microsoft can do with the
cash it is sitting on.

> I'm more inclined to step back from the deal and wonder why Microsoft
> would agree to this, what they get out of it, and the ways in which
> Suse/Novell and we can be screwed by it. Novell's motivation, I
> understand. They get a chunk of change, and immunity from Microsoft's
> lawyers.

I'm afriad this deal will be broken and played out in court where the guy
with less cash loses it all.

Listen, I hope I'm wrong about Microsoft being evil and wanting to crush
the Linux community, but Ballmer and Co. have an obligation to their
shareholders to sell Windows, not Linux. What is Novell gaining from
this? A "Windows Vista Compatible" logo on every box of Suse?

v/r,
Rich Morgan
OpenAddict.com