Re: [SLUG] LDAP's uses

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2006 - 23:47:46 EST

On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 23:17 -0500, Paul M Foster wrote:

> All this is keen and all. I suppose it would be okay for a huge company
> like IBM, where you have tons of employees, and you want a universally
> accessible way to dig up internal phone numbers, email addresses, etc.
> But beyond that, I don't see a lot of other uses for this. For example,
> could LDAP be somehow hooked up to some other part of the O/S to govern
> what permissions people have to various directories?

Yes, and this has been done, just not by me. ;-) As far as other uses, I
saw how a guy was able to put Bible passages into a directory...and it
was useful, but I don't know exactly how or why at this moment. It's
been a while since I did any LDAP anything.

It's just anything you need quick access to, and you don't need to have
quick access to write to. It's just another type of database, where
reading is cheap and easy, but writing is expensive.

> Sorry if this seems like a stupid question. My degree is in recliner
> maintenance, not computer science. ;-}

Russell