[SLUG] [Fwd: Rocky Nook releases "GIMP 2 for Photographers"]

From: Rich Morgan (rmorgan@heavysystems.com)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2006 - 09:37:31 EST

I know there are a lot of digital media enthusiasts here, so I thought you
might find this interesting and/or helpful:

Subject: Rocky Nook releases "GIMP 2 for Photographers"
Date: Tue, November 7, 2006 9:30 am

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 7, 2006

CONTACT: Joan Dixon
Rocky Nook, Inc.
Ph. (805) 687-8727
Fx: (805) 687-2204
joan@rockynook.com

GIMP 2 for Photographers: Image Editing with Open Source Software
New Release by Rocky Nook

Santa Barbara, CA, November 7, 2006--Before investing hundreds of dollars
on expensive software, you want to make sure that editing digital
photographs is something you truly enjoy. That's where "The GIMP 2"--a
free digital image editing program--comes in. After you have explored the
GIMP and learned how to use it, you may not need--nor want--to buy another
image editing program.

"GIMP 2 for Photographers" by Klaus Goelker is designed to facilitate your
entry into the world of digital image editing with the help of the GIMP.

Image editing has become a key element in the digital photographic
workflow. Image editing tools, most notably Photoshop, are usually
sophisticated and deep applications--and fairly expensive. The only open
source tool in this market is the GIMP, which has developed into a
powerful multiplatform system, running on Linux, as well as OS X and
Windows.

The most important editing functions are presented in individual,
easy-to-follow workshops.

In "GIMP 2 for Photographers" you will learn:
- The basics of image editing
- The many functions and tools of the GIMP
- How to make simple adjustments
- Working with advanced techniques
- How to work with layers and masks
- Stitching of panoramic images
- Preparation of high-quality black and white images

Author, Klaus Goelker is an architect and photographer who lives and works
in Munich, Germany. He also teaches courses on image editing at a local
art school. He uses the GIMP to teach this class because it is free and
yet powerful enough to do serious photographic image editing. This
beginner's guide to the GIMP has evolved from the classroom materials the
author developed and used in courses and workshops on image editing.

Additional Resources:
For more information about the book and about Rocky Nook, see:
www.rockynook.com

"GIMP 2 for Photographers: Image Editing with Open Source Software"
Klaus Goelker
ISBN 1-933952-03-2, 186 pages, $29.95 US, $38.95 CA
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/1933952032/
order@oreilly.com
1-800-998-9938 (to order books)

About Rocky Nook
Rocky Nook was founded in early 2006 in Santa Barbara, California, and we
are closely associated with dpunkt.verlag, a leading publisher of books on
technology based in Heidelberg, Germany. The focus of Rocky Nook's
publications is on digital photography. However, other areas related to
modern photography, such as imaging and computer technology, are also
important to us. Our mission is to demystify the cutting-edge developments
in digital photography, providing practical instruction to enhance the
skills of amateur and professional photographers. Our books offer in-depth
information on technological advances in the digital photography workflow.
We strive to support the efficiency and creativity of our readers with the
ultimate goal of fostering outstanding image quality.

# # #

v/r,
Rich Morgan
OpenAddict.com