Re: [SLUG] Cheap'n good laptops for Linux

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2006 - 09:26:30 EST

On 11/13/06, Jonathon Conte <thesicktwist@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >From: Donald E Haselwood <dhaselwood@verizon.net>
> >To: slug@nks.net
> >Subject: [SLUG] Cheap'n good laptops for Linux
> >Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 21:31:40 -0500
> >
> >What is a good used, cheap laptop that will run Linux? I vaguely
> remember
> >that there were some laptops that gave all sorts of problems getting
> Linux
> >up
> >and running (was it Dell because they were cutting corners on hardware to
> >keep costs down?). So, more importantly than what is the best, what
> should
> >be avoided.
> >
> >Don
>
> If you are seeking a laptop with a built-in wireless adapter, try to find
> out which wireless chipset is used before you make the purchase. The
> Atheros
> chipsets have good support and will work out of the box with many distros.
> believe that the Intel wireless chipsets also works well with Linux.
>
> Broadcom chips (which are *widely* used) do not have decent Linux support
> yet and you may end up pulling your hair out trying to get one to work.
> Yes,
> there is a reverse-engineering project underway (bcm43xx) but it is still
> far from mature. While it certainly may be possible for you to get this
> chipset working, at this point in time it is in your best interest to go
> with something else that has better Linux support.

I happen to use the a broadcom in my hp. mainly because it was a simply a
better card than the intel pro b/g card that I got from the same model
hp. Broadcom worked the best for me. But anyway I been using the driver
since its inception when it was really buggy but not it stable and kismet
works great.

There is no reason to turn down a laptop just because it has a broadcom
chipet for the wifi.

If Free Software is important to you and/or you don't want to have to deal