Re: [SLUG] FC6 Nvidia question

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2006 - 11:27:46 EST

On Monday 13 November 2006 09:54, steve szmidt wrote:
> On Monday 13 November 2006 04:17, vern wrote:
> > after doing a little research on the wiki pages in fedoraforum, and a
> > little trial and error, I finall got this card to work.
> > (This is a nvidia fx 5500 btw)

Fortunately all their models are on a unified driver.

> > Anyway the following worked for me
> > rpm -e nvidia-x11-drv
> > yum install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia ( which installed 3 packages, but not
> > the kernel)

I'm using freshrpms and it uses the name nvidia-xorg-drv. Which I see you
ensured was not installed (above).

One problem I ran into was that the nvidia devices (/dev/nvidia0-9 nvidiactl)
were not created, and so it gave me hell when trying to start X. (I'm running
dual monitors and I had the nvidia driver running on the second monitor but
not on the first.) It just kept complaining that the card for monitor 0 was
unknown, and would not accept nvidia, or nv for that matter.

Fixing the links manually ended up working partly but ended with a locked GUI
in some odd mode and I had to hard reset out. Then boot into single mode and
change it to boot to level 3. Reinstalled the nvidia driver, rebooted and
reconfigured and now my symlinks for nvidia were replaced with the actual
device name. At that point a quick fix in xorg.conf (replacing the nv driver
with nvidia) and I was finally up and running.

I'm wondering if using the nvidia-xorg-x11 is reliable between kernel
upgrades. That's the problem with a kernel linked driver like nvidia.
Does the repo maintainers upgrade properly each time?

Which is why I always did it manually to ensure I had a minimum of external
dependencies. Now I depend on the repo too.

In the end I'm thinking I may have had a problem during install, because I
cannot recall uninstalling the nvidia driver, but when looking for the rpm
log I could not see it and had to install it a second time. Which is really
odd since it did run during the xorg configuration (logo appearing).

Now google earth is not running... Sheesh! This is one of the most annoying
parts with desktop Linux, upgrading between distro versions. Usually I always
do installs, but sometimes your configuration files (mostly .kde) don't work
anyway and you're stuck with manually replacing config files to find what's
working... Bloody mess. I had hoped that we were beyond that mess by now.

It certainly felt like FC6 was not done as well as FC5, and I have not tried
xen yet.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.