Re: [SLUG] Cheap'n good laptops for Linux

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2006 - 07:13:20 EST

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 06:29, Jonathon Conte wrote:

> No (legal) Linux distro will install a binary
> NVIDIA driver out-of-the-box so going the NVIDIA route and expecting 3D
> support is by far the most complicated (and possibly immoral depending on
> Don's viewpoint) option compared to other video chipsets that will offer
> him 3D hardware acceleration with free (read liberty) drivers that are
> installed automatically.

Whereas it's totally true that a laptop is harder to work on and make upgrades
on, there are no laws (incl. the GPL lic.) that forbid anyone from installing
binary drivers. Some people have strong feelings about it, but it's limited
to being personal choices, not any law.

Not to be confused with using copyrighted technology like GIF and MPEG where a
distro face the possibility be charged a lic. fee and other legal expenses.
Thus choosing not to use it.

> These users are even unable to pay third-party developers to backport
> feature upgrades or security fixes for their video cards because NVIDIA
> keeps the specifications of these chipsets a secret. These users are
> entirely dependent on NVIDIA's goodwill to decide the lifespan (barring
> hardware failure) of products said users own.

As much as one hates to be the effect of not having source code, video card
manufacturers like Nvidia and ATA are in very heavy competition and simply
don't release source to try to keep the competition from getting the upper
hand on them.

Of course any manufacturer needs to recognize the need to keep their customers
happy, but reaching end of support life is a reality we have to live with
when using these, and many other products.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.