Re: [SLUG] Cheap'n good laptops for Linux

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2006 - 09:11:04 EST

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 01:03, michael hast wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Linux distro will install a binary NVIDIA driver out-of-the-box so
> > going the NVIDIA route and expecting 3D support is by far the most
> > complicated (and possibly immoral...
>
> <snip>
>
> Okay. I've been at this for a little while now. Maybe I'm being
> thick-headed, but what part of that might be immoral? The fact that
> they want to retain ownership of their code? Should all software
> producing companies be forced to share their code? Wouldn't that
> attitude support M$'s argument about Open Source supporting communism?

I really don't have a religious approach to code. In my eyes if you create
something (code or otherwise) you can do with it as you please. The idea that
code must be free or is evil or whatever is (to me) a very theoretical
argument, and not based on any real life, successful scenario.

If f.ex. my daughter makes a painting and she chooses not to share it with
anyone, sell it, or allow it to be shared with lets say the Creative Common
License. It's her choice. Or yours, if you created it.

So yes, I agree that one should never force others to do something with their
creations they don't want to. (Talk about putting a suppressor on
creativity!)

The communistic view of all for and to the people is never that way in real
life. In fact the commies are more capitalistic in that few actually have
all, and the masses nothing, but that's another story.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.