Re: [SLUG] Cheap'n good laptops for Linux

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2006 - 17:27:55 EST

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 16:38, Jonathon Conte wrote:

> >So, with the lack of a Free alternative, NVidia is the much more
> >Freedom-friendly distributor in spite of the lack of a Free driver.

> But there _are_ free (libre) alternatives. The 'radeon' driver provides
> hardware accelerated 3D for several ATI chipsets. Intel has been working
> with Xorg developers and the 'i810' driver provides hardware accelerated 3D
> for several Intel chipsets. There is also the 'via' driver which provides
> accelerated 3D for VIA (Unichrome) chipsets.

Sure there are, but as Levi pointed out do you really want to use them?
I don't see anything beating Nvidia on Linux.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.