Re: [SLUG] cron not running

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2006 - 21:38:40 EST

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Daniel Jarboe wrote:

> That's strange that you have nothing for cron in messages. Most distros
> have something... either a pam message or a cron message that states the
> command being run and which user.
>
> The mail log would probably not have cron strings, but a message indicating
> an item was attempted to be sent around the time that the cron job would
> finish.

It should start at 4am, and go for an hour and a half or two hours:

Nov 14 03:57:18 pc -- MARK --
Nov 14 04:17:18 pc -- MARK --
Nov 14 04:37:19 pc -- MARK --
Nov 14 04:57:19 pc -- MARK --
Nov 14 05:17:19 pc -- MARK --
Nov 14 05:37:19 pc -- MARK --
Nov 14 05:57:20 pc -- MARK --

I'd say no. I think the no-NL thing messed it up.

> No MAILTO= is perfectly fine unless you had something like MAILTO="". When
> not present it goes to the tab's owner, yes.

No, none at all.

> About this no cron strings in your messages file... do you have logrotation
> or other processes kicked off by cron on your system?

logrotate runs, yes... lemme see how. Ah yeah, called from
/etc/cron.daily/logrotate which is called by the line

25 7 * * * root test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts --verbose --report /etc/cron.daily

in /etc/crontab.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   http://royalty.no-ip.org:81
               "God does not play dice" -- Einstein