Re: [SLUG] Cheap'n good laptops for Linux

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2006 - 22:54:02 EST

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 06:29, Jonathon Conte wrote:
> >From: Bob Stia <rnr@sanctum.com>
> >To: slug@nks.net
> >Subject: Re: [SLUG] Cheap'n good laptops for Linux
> >Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 02:11:28 -0500
> >
> >Don,
> >
> >I replied because I felt that you could be influenced by a very
> > biased and "purist" opinion and I felt I needed to correct that
> > bias. Probably the greatest majority of Linux users, of all distros,
> > use Nvidia because everything "just works".
> >
> >Yes, Nvidia is proprietary, but, unlike ATI, it provides the latest
> > and greatest drivers available, including 3D for free. What part of
> > FREE don't we understand?
> >
> >You are also free to choose whatever videocard you want. I just did
> > not want you to be wrongly and negatively influenced by seemingly
> > authoritive FUD.
> >
> >Bob S.
>
> Bob,
> While you are welcome to disagree with me, I do think it is a bit
> extreme to call my advice "purist" and "very biased". You make it
> sound as if I have no ground to stand upon. Allow me to further
> clarify my suggestion.

Jonathon.

Sorry. I apologize, I did not mean to belittle your opinion. I was just
afraid that the OP would be unduly influenced by a very strongly worded
statement from the type of person who frequents these lists and are
perceived as "experts".

Let's drop it. Enough said. I'm sure the OP has been well informed by now
and surely understands that there are many opinions.

Bob S.