Re: [SLUG] Cheap'n good laptops for Linux

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2006 - 17:03:19 EST

Pete Theisen wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 November 2006 01:03, michael hast wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>

>>> Linux distro will install a binary NVIDIA driver out-of-the-box so
>>> going the NVIDIA route and expecting 3D support is by far the most
>>> complicated (and possibly immoral...
>>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Okay. I've been at this for a little while now. Maybe I'm being
>> thick-headed, but what part of that might be immoral? The fact that
>> they want to retain ownership of their code? Should all software
>> producing companies be forced to share their code? Wouldn't that
>> attitude support M$'s argument about Open Source supporting communism?
>>

> Hi Michael!
>
> >From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
I really don't mind sharing, I just don't want to have to. You know
what I mean? I feel like it means a lot more when I get to make the
choice to share. I might give twice as much to charity as I pay for tax
for welfare if it wasn't forcibly taken from me by the State.
Therefore, I would agree that to give is divine, but there's nothing
noble about stealing from the rich to give to the poor once you get past
Robin Hood. By that argument, why should they all be held accountable
to not protect their code? That's all I'm saying.
> Or not.

Exactly.