Re: [SLUG] Inexpensive full spectrum light to work in

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2006 - 10:47:47 EST

On 11/16/06, steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 16 November 2006 12:33, Chris Mathey wrote:
> >
> > Sounds like the lamps you can get for reptiles to put in the terrarium.

That is the heat lamp, the fluorescent lamp has a blue purple color to
it, has a lot
of UV so the reptile can produce vitamine D. You probably want the Florex as it
is whiter.

> Having done a bit research now I see that Flourex is also being used to grow
> plants, they even have floodlights. Popular thing...

I have 4 of the 67 watt (equivalent to 500W incand.) units outside
around the house
they are great lights, also keep operation cost down I can not imagine
what my bill
would look like if all of those were incandecent. Mercury or sodium
would still be
double the cost and the color is nowhere near as good. I also have a
door liminar
that uses a smaller lamp, do not rememeber the wattage but it is like a 300 watt
inc.

> I found someone had sold the $40 on eBay for $13 and that the cheaper model
> has been sold for a lot more than $20. :) Funny how a lot of sales are being
> done at far above retail.
>

> A few places around sell these but charge more than Home Depot.

Stay with Home Depot, they have a nice collection of the things.
Lights of America
appears to be the major producer of these luminairs and lamps.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;