Re: [SLUG] Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft

From: xcalibre (xcalibre@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2006 - 11:51:45 EST

Again as I mentioned anyone thinking that they have a friend in Redmond needs to have a reality check.

Corel - Had Wordperfect for Linux, Corel Draw, and a Illustrator also for Linux. Corel had their own Distro and they bit the big one once a partnership and funds came into the partnership!

Caldera/SCO - Once they joined forces again and Microsoft Funded them they about have went completely out of Bussiness.

Lindows/Linspire - Once they were paid by Microsoft to change the name they have almost become just another OS that has all but gone anywhere since.

Apple - Apple had once the ability to have a Browser that many were optimizing for namely I.E. Microsoft decided once Apple decided to go with a BSD/Unix Open Source direction to pull the plug on the Browser. Microsoft also a few times had considered dropping Office for Apples OSX Operating Systems.

HP/Unix - Also once had the I.E. Browser and once the pressure was turned up Microsoft yanked their Browser.

CodeWeavers - Had pieces that were needed by Microsoft and once Microsoft determined that it was gaining popularity they would change the way things were dependent on pieces needed by Microsoft so they no longer offered these pieces. Also certain Security risk with certain Software could no longer be patched because Running under Wine it would not see any necessary Microsoft signed files thus leaves their flaws still open to attack.

Now Novell - S.u.S.E. still one of the big Distros used in a Commercial enviroment and installed by a few PC manufactures. Microsoft see's the demand on the rise and feels that a long time rival may not read between the lines and thus gain code and certain intellectual property.

Novell was once almost wiped out of the market and now may face a 2nd round from a Company that has growed several hundred times larger and has resources that could be the final blow to them.

It seems once a partnership opens up with the Redmond Group that it's only a matter of time before they are absorbed or almost Bankrupt, also a Technology or Product is lost from the Linux/Unix Community!

Another thing that I have noticed is let Microsoft Advertise any where assosicated with Linux/Unix and things also seem to change. Linux Journal once was a pretty think publication then all of a sudden advertisements pop up and
the Journal went to half the thickness it once was. You go to site like Linuxtoday and you see large advertisements badgering Linux? WT*?? Check the site and see what I am talking about.

I don't know but it just seems to me that MS carries a Death Knell once they try to partner with an Opensource company...

J.M.H.O.