[SLUG] Discrimination?

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2006 - 20:54:49 EST

Folks,
Some weeks ago I broke down and purchased a month sub to one of
the wifi services, I figured that $21/mo was pretty reasonable since I
travel so much, it is a lot less than the 4.99 to 9.99 that you pay for a
one shot deal. So I get to Houston G. Bush, the wifi provider is Sprint,
I go to try to log in and of course I am presented with a 'roaming
partner selection' I select the provider I am using and attempt to log in,
I get a 'roaming not supported' message, call my provider and they
ask me what browser I am running, I told them firefox, they told me that
Sprint only allows logins with I.E. and that they had complained about
it but Sprint did nothing. I have used them at other airports indeed I
did the purchase using Firefox on my Linux laptop, the Boingo guy
lauged and told me he ran Linux too, but that they had been unable
to get Sprint to fix their system to allow other browsers, I thinked him
and hung up and called Sprint, and sure enough, if you do have have
I.E you can not use their service. Once you log in you can use any
browser you want but you must have I.E. or so they say.

Now is there any workaround for this one? The Sprint turkey told me
that they did not support Linux (it's the BROWSER stupid) I told him
it was not the OS it was the browser, and that I was sure able to get
on their stupid signin web page and the silly airport web page they
route you to. Of course that was like talking to a wall because his
next response was they did not support Mozilla browsers.... If any
of you travel and have run into this and know of a work around I
sure would like to know what it is. The Boingo guy told me that he
had tried all of the other browsers on a Linux box and a Mac and
only IE works.

Sprint = Major sucking sounds...

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --