Re: [SLUG] multiple keyboards?

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2006 - 20:41:56 EST

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, michael hast wrote:

> I've got an interesting one for you. For quite some time now, I have been
> thinking of trying out Dvorak. I have an old keyboard that I swapped keytops
> around on to put it in the configuration that I found online. I know that
> through KDE, it's a pretty simple procedure to remap the keyboard, but I'm
> still a little squeamish about taking the plunge and making the commitment.
> Currently, I'm using a USB qwerty. The remapped keyboard is a PS2. Is there
> a simple way to have both running on the same machine with the USB configured
> to qwerty and the PS2 configured to Dvorak? I'm sure it would be simple
> enough to get in there and figure out, but I'm afraid of crashing my xserver
> or something. Thanks in advance!

I think you just add a couple sections to /etc/X11/xorg.conf . If you think
you might screw it up (I always think that), keep a pristine copy of it so
you can replace whatever you've done with that.

Lines I'd guess need to be changed:

Section "ServerLayout"
     Identifier "Default Layout"
     Screen "Default Screen" 0 0
     InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
     InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
# add another InputDevice here for the 2nd kb
EndSection

# describe it in a section like this
Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier "Generic Keyboard" <-- change the name
     Driver "kbd"
     Option "CoreKeyboard"
     Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
     Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
     Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

http://people.os-zen.net/shadowhand/configs/xorg.conf shows a valid file.
I've never dealt with a USB keyboard, so I can't give you first-hand
information. Sorry.

OTOH, this isn't what you asked for, but I have shuffled my key caps into
the "left hand dvorak" layout (http://royalty.no-ip.org:81/dvorak.jpg).
("\" and "`" should have been switched, but the keys were physically
different sizes, so I couldn't.) The alphanumeric keys which are the same
between that and QWERTY are Y and U. So I wrote /export/bin/y and
/export/bin/u to be "switch to LHDvorak" and "switch to QWERTY" scripts
respectively. Therefore, I can have either on demand with one keyboard.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.no-ip.org:81
          They that can give up essential liberty to