Re: [SLUG] Torrent Question

From: chris lee (chris.a.lee@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2006 - 03:45:32 EST

On 11/27/06, steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org> wrote:
> On Monday 27 November 2006 00:28, Paul M Foster wrote:
> > Eben King wrote:
> > >
> > > FWIW, decent sites I've found are http://mininova.org/ and
> > > http://isohunt.com/ .
> >
> > Finally got what I was looking for on isohunt (thanks Google and Eben).
> > It's downloading in the background now. But I have another question. The
> > bittorrent client shows the download amount and rate. But it *also*
> > shows an upload rate and amount. Umm, what exactly am I *uploading*?
> >
> > Paul
>
> You are supporting the overall effort of moving files to people. It's sort of
> like an exchange where you start out actually sending more data than you
> receive. Then after a while the ratio changes and you get a lot more d/l
> traffic.
> --
>
> Steve Szmidt
>
> "To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be
> capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control.
> A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty.
> From the Declaration Principles

i manage a very large BT Tracker ( www.boxtorrents.com ) so now your
into my area of expertise.

torrent unauthorized means either

A: that it came from a tracker that requires you to have an account to
connect to it, as in "you are not authorized to download via this
torrent file."

B: the file used to be on the server but isnt anymore.

bittorrent works on tit for tat, you download small parts of a file
from a swarm of users and you upload the parts you have to other users
that don't have them.

rule of thumb, the faster you upload, the faster you download.

most sites are based on ratio, seed the file back at least 1:1 (upload
as much as you download) its good for the community.