RE: [SLUG] Protest the Microsoft-Novell Patent Agreement

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott11@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2006 - 22:12:17 EST

>> There's also the possibility that *they're* infringing on *our* code (as
in including GPL code in their products. Agreements like Novell/MS also
cover *Microsoft*. Wouldn't it be interesting if using our code in their
products was the whole point of this exercise?

I believe that BSD code exists in the network stack of NT/W2K/XP. They
rewrote it for Vista, and reintroduced stack bugs not seen since W98.
Seeing their chief competitor (Apple) use the BSD code base to beat on them,
and now move to Intel, has got to concern them. Apple could offer a VM for
running Windows, along with Wine, and offer the biggest threat they've seen.
It could be that they want to side with Linux as an anti-Apple (as well as
anti-Sun/anti-IBM/anti-Oracle) move. Since none of us have seen the
agreement, this is all just wild speculation by all of us. Still, it will
be interesting to see how it all plays out.

This is actually a sign that Linux is a big-time player, guys...

I'd also like to second the idea that this is a pro-Linux list, not an
anti-MS list. You don't have to hate MS to love Linux.

Ken Elliott