Re: [SLUG] Protest the Microsoft-Novell Patent Agreement

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2006 - 01:19:26 EST

steve szmidt wrote:

> On Wednesday 29 November 2006 22:12, Ken Elliott wrote:

<snip>

>> I believe that BSD code exists in the network stack of NT/W2K/XP. They
>> rewrote it for Vista, and reintroduced stack bugs not seen since W98.

This is probably true, but because BSD is not under a GPL license,
they're probably safe on BSD code.

<snip>

> When you work on delivering solutions for money, you want fixed to stay fixed.
> If not you have to fix it. Except with MS solutions you can only come up with
> unusual solutions for unusual problems. I don't care how pretty it looks but
> how stable it runs. So I need faith in that the future will get better.
>

> Linux has lots of problems too, but real people try to fix them as soon as
> they can. With MS it does not matter how much good intentions they actually
> may have. In the end their solutions plain aren't up to where they have to
> be.
>
> Thinking of how all these people in this big company with absolutely no proper
> reason for not delivering a proper product, then seeing how they lie outright
> about their products to cover they behind, well you get the idea.

Another major problem MS has is that when they deliver a broken product,
     a billion people use it. Many of those people write software which
works around the bugs. When MS comes out with the new version, in many
cases they can't fix the bugs because everyone now relies on software
that programs around the bugs. Vista, as originally designed, would have
been a radical departure. But notice how many new innovations have been
stripped out of it. My guess is not that they couldn't technically
deliver those things, even if late. I think they couldn't deliver those
things without breaking every piece of software that runs over Windows.

> It's not about having a stone age witch hunt. In the end the integrity of MS
> management is not something I'd put money on. You do as you please of course,
> and if you are happy with what you pay for then good for you. It's good some
> people are happy with what they got for their money. I know of no real
> solutions oriented people that were ever happy with windoze.
>
> This is probably what scares new people away. They don't have that experience
> and thinks we're all loco, bad mouthed, MS bashers. When we are just fed up
> with what to us looks like a massive rip-off and sabotage of the computer
> industry. (Yeah you can make money on their problems, as many does, it's just
> not what I call moving forward.)
>
> I wonder how many people have signed up with Linux lists because they too were
> fed up, and just saw recognition in and felt hope as a result of some of the
> bashing?

*Many*. I see the surveys people often fill out when they join this
group. I see a lot of this wish/hope for something better in Linux than
people are running in Windows.

For those who haven't heard this story, Ed Centanni and did a
presentation on Linux to the people at the PC Users Group, about six or
eight years ago. Our original "script" called for a lot of Microsoft
jokes. But we decided to tone it down, since we didn't know what kind of
reception that would get. It turned out those people were more caustic
than we ever were about Windows and Microsoft. Unfortunately, it's often
too much of a barrier for non-technical people to dump their OS and all
their applications and start over, which is how they look at it.

> Yeah, it's not professional to say some of these things being said,
> but then this is not a list for computer professionals selling things either.

Although we don't particularly condone MS bashing, I can't exactly blame
people. It's common to every Linux list in existence, probably, and
people complain about Microsoft for very good reasons. By the same
token, people who get on this list and start asking a lot of
Windows-related question get flamed. Again, we don't condone this, but
it's very common behavior and understandable on lists like this. (Even
on a list like ours, which is generally more polite than most, except
for a couple or three troublemakers. ;-)

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster