[SLUG] weird output from groups command

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2006 - 13:33:05 EST

So I'm using LDAP and I'm having trouble accessing a directory that is
group owned. ( names changed to protect the innocent... ;^) )

fooboy@Sanity:/> ls -lad Projects/submarine_sandwich/

drwxrws--- 6 fooman animate 4096 2006-11-30 13:13
Projects/submarine_sandwich

fooboy@Sanity:/> cd Projects/submarine_sandwich/

bash: cd: Projects/submarine_sandwich/: Permission denied

fooboy@Sanity:/> groups

color mgmt admin users

fooboy@Sanity:/> groups fooboy

color mgmt animate admin users

First off, what's up with that? From man groups:

groups [OPTION]... [USERNAME]...

Same as id -Gn. If no USERNAME, use current process

also:

fooboy@Sanity:/> getent group

--snipped bunch of users--

nogroup:x:65534:nobody
users:x:100:fooboy
+::0:
mgmt:x:1013:fooboy
color:x:1015:fooboy
animate:x:1016:fooman,fooboy
admin:x:1018:fooboy

shows that the user is a part of the group. Any ideas as to why this is
happening?

TIA!

Mike Branda Jr.