Re: [SLUG] Screwed up Big time

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Dec 17 2006 - 17:20:00 EST

Chuck Hast wrote:
> On 12/17/06, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Dec 2006, Chuck Hast wrote:
>>
>> > Folks,
>> > I have a small Knoppix switch, I decided to do a upgrade on it so I
>> could
>> > run the latest ntop on it. I did the apt-get upgrade and, well it did
>> > what I told
>> > it and more.
>> >
>> > The machine has a static IP, when it was finished and re-booted it
>> now does
>> > dhcp, and totally disregards the static ip bit. What is worse is
>> that I did
>> > not
>> > as far as I can recall give commands to change device configuration.
>> >
>> > I am trying to figure out how to correct this mess as it appears
>> that pump is
>> > started somewhere.
>> >
>> > If I look in /etc/network/interfaces, things are good. it is still
>> > being setup as
>> > a static IP, I suspect that the dhcp is being done AFTER the static
>> IP, but
>> > so far I have not been able to figure out where it is. This machine
>> has no
>> > gui, so do not ask me to use a gui network tool. The text tool;
>> netcardconfig
>> > now gives a error when it is run, saying that a dialog message is
>> missing.
>> > I have tried to figure out what is messed up, but seem to be going
>> against
>> > a wall. I can also see ifcfg-eth0 has the same data. But I am not
>> sure if the
>> > static is being applied first and then the dhcp is running and
>> overwriting
>> > the port setup.
>>
>> Go for "remove with extreme prejudice": "apt-get remove pump" or whatever
>> the command is. There may be some cleanup necessitated by pump's
>> absence,
>> but I think you'd be closer to a static address with it gone.
>>
>> --
> Did it now I am going to reboot the machine and see if it reads my ifconfig
> files as it did.
>
> I do not know what it did with the text tool that I had that let me go
> in and
> configure that stuff.

Here's some advice: *Never* run apt-get upgrade. You can run apt-get
update, but not "upgrade". Debian's package management is great, but not
perfect, and this is a fast way to break things all over your system,
particularly if your Debian variant is based on Sid.

Follow Eben's advice. Chances are, the dhcp package (whatever its name)
installed a script in /etc/init.d to run on startup, and does so after
your network card is configured. If you remove the package (you may have
to "purge" it), this should go away.

I've never heard of netcardconfig, so it must be a Knoppix thing. You
can run aptitude to see what its dependencies are, and if anything
suggested or required has been somehow been left out. You can also look
at the results of

dpkg -S netcardconfig

to see what package installed it.

You can also run

dpkg -L packagename

to determine what files a package installed and where. These are just
hints to give you clues about what may be going on with netcardconfig.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster