Re: [SLUG] slow connection

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2006 - 11:19:36 EST

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Chuck Hast wrote:

> On 12/19/06, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Richard Smoot wrote:
>>
>> > If you are talking about the TV cable connections, the frequencies
>> > involved start somewhere above 49mhz and go up to somewhere around
>> > 800mhz.
>>
>> And I think they're different frequencies, so there shouldn't be any loss
>> by an (ideal) splitter. Any splitters for extra TVs should be placed
>> _after_ this.
>>
>> Caveat: I've never been a CATV installer. I don't even play one on TV.
>>
> The splitters are not frequency selective in the sense that the are
> designed to pass certain bands and block others, they have a passband and
> that is it. What they do is split power and put it on each port, so say a
> -20 dbm signal on the input is now a -40 dbm signal on each port if the
> splitter has a 3db reduction in power to each port.

Theoretical minimum is log10(1/2) bels = -0.301B = -3.01 dB for a two-port
splitter, and log10(1/3) bels = -0.477B = -4.77dB for a three-port splitter.
The pattern continues.

> This is why you want good splitters that do not have too much loss, I
> think that most of them are like 3.5 to 4.5 port, and several of them do
> specify the loss based on spectrum, the higher the frequency the greater
> the loss. So on the low end you will see about 3.5db/ port and on the high
> end about 4.5db/port. A 3 port splitter will have 5.7 db /port on the low
> end and about 2 db more loss on the high end. and a 4 port will have about
> 7.5bd/port on the low end and about 9.5 on the high end, the high end for
> these devices in this case being 2.4Ghz.

Obviously these devices are not theoretically ideal, but hey, that's to be
expected.

> All of these devices have a low end frequency of 5Mhz.

What I was thinking was not a splitter but a crossover (like in a speaker,
but much higher frequency). But that would only work if data and TV
used different carrier frequencies.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   http://royalty.no-ip.org:81
CANCER:  The position of Jupiter says that you should spend the