Re: [SLUG] Numeric Storage Format

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 29 2006 - 13:30:05 EST

> nstr = "57";
> ch = nstr[0] - '0';
> number = 10 * ch + nstr[1] - '0';

I think the confusion is he didn't say anything about what "number" is, and
didn't provide a sufficiently large example.

Paul, so decimal 57 gets encoded in 1 byte: 0x39

Would decimal 1234 be encoded in 2 bytes like like 0x0C 0x22 ?

In any case, I have no idea what that would be called. I would imagine it
would be easier (faster) to encode/decode, but it isn't any more efficient
space-wise.

~ Daniel