Re: [SLUG] Numeric Storage Format

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 29 2006 - 13:59:49 EST

> memory fades...). Over the years I don't remember running across the 0-99
> idea, however. It is certainly more memory efficient than storing one BCD
> per byte, and maybe a little more computational efficient than storing two
> BCD digits per byte.

BCD is almost always implemented with two base-ten digits per byte, though,
so talking about this being more efficient than once BCD per byte is a
little silly.

A quick google search for a name, turned up this sight which refers to it
only as a "base 100 derivation" of BCD.
http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/decimal/decifaq5.html#otherenc It also
indicates they are more complicated to work with. I'm not sure why. BCD
addition would be binary addition + 6 for each nibble > decimal 9. With
base 100 it's the same deal, except you add 156 to every byte > 99. And
converting to decimal form would probably be easier because you are working
with byte rather than nibble unites. Maybe the author was speaking from a
hardware/ALU perspective.

~ Daniel