Re: [SLUG] Perl (or Zlib) giving me troubles

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylan@hardison.net)
Date: Fri Dec 29 2006 - 22:33:57 EST

Spake Eben King on Friday, December 29, 2006 at 09:22PM -0500:
> Hey SLUGgers.
>
> I downloaded a DVD image meant for use with a Mac OS X system. For some
> reason, they assume you have a working OS X system handy (I don't), so
> it's a ".dmg" ("disk image") file. This is internally compressed (per
> block I think) with gzip. Some nice person wrote "dmgtoiso", a small
> utility which should do nothing more than soak up lots of CPU cycles and
> decompress the image.
>
> I'm trying to get the Perl version (dmgtoiso.pl) to work (already tried to
> get the C++ one up... wouldn't compile). Likewise, Perl needs
> Compress::Zlib.pm. I went to cpan.org, got the source here:
> http://search.cpan.org/src/PMQS/Compress-Zlib-2.002/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm
> and saved it as /usr/lib/perl/5.8.7/Compress/Zlib.pm (text, not HTML). Is
> that correct? I don't speak Perl.

That is not the correct way to install a perl module.
It would work only if:

a) Compress::Zlib was the only module file contained in that CPAN bundle
b) Compress::Zlip was written in pure perl.

As it stands, Compress::Zlib is a binding to the C zlib library.

Now to help you install it the proper way. Three ways:

1) Install it with your package manager.
        Debian-based distros: aptitude install libcompress-zlib-perl
        Yum-based abominations: yum install perl-Compress-Zlib

2) Installing with the easy to use cpan tool
        cpan -i Compress::Zlib

3) Installing it by hand:
        download the tarball
        http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/P/PM/PMQS/Compress-Zlib-2.002.tar.gz
        untar it
        read the README file.
        perl Makefile.PL
        make
        sudo make install

Options 1 and 3 are the ones most likely to work without hassle.