Re: [SLUG] [PIG] ICal feed for SLUG meetings

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2007 - 19:22:00 EST

Dylan William Hardison wrote:
> I was bored at lunch the other day, so there is now an ICal file listing
> all the SLUG meetings. The script is a great hack and parses paul's
> meeting accouncements and also figures out who the meeting coordinator
> is by examining the SLUG website.
>
> I dunno how useful this is, as I use wyrd + remind for my calendaring...
> But someone that uses apple's ical or good calendar or kde's calendar
> might find it useful.

Ah, kewl. I use remind as well. Incredible program. If you're
interested, I have a couple of PHP scripts which use remind to build a
HTML calendar that displays in your browser. (TkRemind sucks, and I'm
not all that fond of Wyrd, though it's a good program.) One of the
scripts allows you to edit or add events to the calendar easily, even
specifying which reminder file (I use several) in which to insert the
events. I'll send them to you, if you like.

In fact, I have a specific reminder (.reminders.meetings) file which
details all the meetings for the next year, if you'd like that. It can
be called from your main reminder file with an INCLUDE directive. (Some
meetings, like Dunedin, don't work with a straight "4th Saturday" event,
and so have to be detailed individually.)

> http://hardison.net/slug/rss/slug.ics
>
> If someone wants to process it into another format, the processed data
> is available in a YAML file:
>
> http://hardison.net/slug/rss/cal.yml

Nice work. It looks like these just detail the meetings in the meeting
announcement only. It might be useful to parse the meeting calendar on
the website to get all the meetings. In fact, I've always wanted to take
the time to work out how to automatically generate the meeting
announcements based on some data file. I normally hand edit them every
week. I do have a tab delimited data file that generates the calendar on
the website, but not the meeting announcements.

> I'll buy someone a (cheap) beer if they write a script that takes the
> cal.yml (or slug.ics) file and inserts the data into Google Calendar without human
> intervention. :)
>
> All the code for this is available via:
>
> darcs get http://hardison.net/slug/rss/

Or even better, take the remind file for *all* the meetings and shove
that into Google Calendar.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster